As summer comes to a close (tear), I find myself craving the familiar flavours of fall: pumpkin, cinnamon, nutmeg, and several kinds of squash. I have to admit, I am a fall lover- the smell, crisp air, beautiful colours, and the fact that I get to wear scarves and boots and other layering essentials- all make it a winner in my books!
Today I found myself craving soup- a hearty soup that would actually satisfy me for a few hours. I settled on this scrumptious pumpkin/coconut soup. I was inspired by Elena’s recipe; but having done this on a whim, I made some major substitutions and added some other delicious flavours while I was at it.
- 3 cups roasted pumpkin (pureed pumpkin will do in a pinch)
- 2 1/2 cups chicken stock- I used the leftover stock from a chicken that I had done the night before
- 1 1/4 cup of coconut milk
- 1 lemon
- 1-2 tbsp of fresh minced ginger
- 1 tsp himalayan salt (or sea salt)
- 1 tsp fresh ground pepper
- 5 basil leaves
- In a Vitamix (a regular blender will do the trick as well) combine the pumpkin, chicken stock, and coconut milk. Blend until combined.
- Add your lemon (chopped in half- peel and all if your blender can handle it! If not, squeeze as much juice out of your lemon as you can... WORK IT!!) At this stage, you can also add all other ingredients.
- Sit back and watch your blender do the work for several minutes until the mix is fully combined. If you find that your soup is too thick, do not be afraid to add a little bit more coconut milk or water.
- Once the mixture is fully combined, pour it into a pot and slowly bring it to a boil, stirring often. BEWARE: you may want to put a lid on this while it heats up (it tends to want to splatter).
- After bringing it to a boil, reduce your heat and allow it to simmer for 5-10 minutes.
- Serve & Enjoy!
As September nears, I find myself making double and triple batches of everything. The beginning of the school year can be a very busy time for me and I enjoy having tasty options like this ripe for the picking- straight from my freezer, into my lunch bag!